Darcy 2000-2006

Darcy 2000-2006

It’s a sad day.

How often do you have a possession that you use just about every day for over six years? It becomes a part of you. And when it is gone, there is a bit of an empty feeling.

Today that happened. Last night when I went to fire up Darcy, my trusty Powerbook G3 Pismo, she refused to start up. Within an hour, I had her taken apart on the coffee table, trying to figure out what might be going wrong. Granted, I’m not hardware geek, so it was more on the “last ditch effort” side.

Darcy had been failing for some time. I knew this day would come. It’s like she had a terminal illness and it was just a matter of time. Her plate on the back that kept her connections away from the elements had broken off. Years and years ago her cute little red plastic thing that covered her infrared port fell out. She hasn’t had rubber feet in years. The display would randomly flop backwards because her hinges were so well used. But dammit, every single one of her 786,432 pixels was in fine working order.

I pimped her out after I first got her in the summer of 2000, with one of my first paychecks from my job out of college. For back then, 768 MB of RAM was huge. She had it. I took out her internal 6 GB hard drive and gave her a 40 GB one. I also go a sweet MCE expansion bay hard drive to giver her another 20 GB. She was a powerhouse.

For years, I ran my baseball simulation league (the Ted Williams Memorial League) on Darcy. For three years going to and from that first job on the train, she would always be out, always be used. During the work day, she would sit by my side, playing music as my own personal iPod, before there were iPods.

Well, my current job has no train time, so Darcy time was at night. I also had a work laptop, a PowerBook G4, but Darcy was still my favorite. Something about her was just so much better than the aluminum beast. Darcy had style. Black, curvaceous, and powerful—she was a goddess.

Over time, she had some failures. I thought she was going. First the hard drive died. Damn third party equipment. I put her 6 gigger back in and reduced her to *just* TWML duties (I also have an eMac at home that would do my iLife stuff). Later, there was another failure. Damn third party RAM. Took it out and she was back to normal.

But recently, she had been randomly shutting down while asleep. I would have to zap the PRAM to even get her started. So, I knew it was coming. And last night it came. Today, she perked up again long enough to transfer all her data to the eMac, but then, while still powered up… she died. Her display didn’t just black out. It was blue, but not blue screen of death blue. It was a strange gradient of blue to black that I had never seen before. At her time of death, she bowed out gracefully.

So, my #1 hobby (the TWML) will continue for a while on the eMac until I make the get me a MacBook Pro at work. The TWML needs to be run through Windows emulation and Darcy had some old, old school Virtual PC junk that was the greatest jimmy-rig ever.

So, I wanted to publicly say thanks to Darcy for six wonderful years. In the last six years, I have gotten engaged, gotten married, changed jobs, bought a house, and had a child. Darcy was there to see all of that. I’m not sure how she’s going to live on, but her case will certainly never leave me.

Rest in peace, Darcy.

1. On October 20th, 2006 at 5:01 pm PaulP said:

RIP Darcy, you were a work horse

2. On October 20th, 2006 at 5:44 pm CFKS said:

Darcy was a source of dependability and joy for about 30 different grown men. We all sat around nervously 2-4 times a week, waiting for here to judge us, and let us know if she approved or disapproved of the changes we had made to make ourselves better. She was always there for us and helped us all get through some tought times, not to mention the they way she brought us all together for one common dream. Darcy brought me some of the greatest joy and pain of my life, she will be greatly missed.

3. On October 20th, 2006 at 6:41 pm KL said:

Thank you Darcy for running our little virtual world without a complaint.

Rest well.

4. On October 20th, 2006 at 8:29 pm Bruce said:

My condolences on your loss. Stay strong brother…

5. On October 20th, 2006 at 8:31 pm Mike D. said:

Hard to believe the old girl finally bought the farm. I’ve watched my brother lug that laptop around for most of his adult life. It traveled with him to work every day back when we worked together, it ran the simulated baseball league we played in, and it generally traveled at his side whereever he went for the last six years. As I fight with a 3 year old PC laptop as it attempts to die on me, I gotta give props to Mac engineering.

6. On October 20th, 2006 at 10:25 pm Ken said:

I did not know here long… but the girl appeared to be a real hard dedicated worker who I am sure will be missed. Good luck in the great computer room in the sky..

7. On October 22nd, 2006 at 11:51 am Mike W. said:

Sorry to see you go old girl. I to have nursed a long sick cpu. Reading about Darcy has cleared my mind of any thoughts of putting my old HP down. Darcy you will be missed.

8. On October 23rd, 2006 at 9:22 am Cory said:

Cook said it best – Darcy was a source of joy to a lot of people and it’s truly sad to see her go.

9. On October 24th, 2006 at 11:33 am The.Ghost said:

The ol’ gal was a hard worker—and expected no less from the rest of us. Go on and be lazy about your TWML team, if you dare. Darcy was there to send you back to Square One. She was giving 110%, so why not you? You really can learn a life lesson from a laptop!

Recently, I’ve adopted an IBM T-30. Not much to look at. Still needs some “fixer-upper” work before it’s fully functional. But I’m cool with it. After all, Darcy is an example to live up to.

Darcy, you’ve done a heck of a job!

And I mean that in the “GOOD” way… ;-)

10. On October 30th, 2006 at 12:03 am Kearns said:

Darcy will get a write in vote on my next TWML Hall of Fame Ballot. Somehow, things just won’t be the same without her.

11. On December 8th, 2008 at 4:20 pm Making the Screencasts (Part 1: Recording the screencasts) | BatchBlue: Blog said:

[...] I’m not quite as lucky as Matt (he has one of the new MacBooks), but this is still my second favorite Mac I’ve ever had. If you’re not a Mac person, I apologize in advance for the [...]