Can I Be “The Next Great Sports Blogger”?

I’ve blogged about baseball here in the past. I’ve done some deeper, more analytical baseball blogging. I’ve even run a baseball simulation league. I like this stuff. But on this blog, I’m trying to be more focused on work than play. And I’m handing over the reigns the simulation league. I’m kind of in need of an outlet for the baseball banter.

I’ve considered opening a Twitter account just for short little baseball facts, but the sabermetrician in me realizes I probably need a bit more. Turns out, WEEI (the local—and the nation’s top rated—sports talk radio station) is looking for “The Next Great Sports Blogger”. They just relaunched their website and rolled out a bunch of blogs—but are looking for two more.

I can totally do this.

The contest page states:

Starting on Sept. 2, contestants who believe they have the blogging chops can submit a sample post on WEEI.com. Entries can be up to 500 words and should focus on the Boston sports scene, reflecting the author’s wit, creativity, sports knowledge and unique perspective in a piece of work that will stand out from a sea of candidates. The deadline for submissions will be Sept. 30.

What do I bring to the table?

I’m not going to be a “current events” blogger. The last thing we’d need to read is one more story about how violent Dustin Pedroia’s swing is (as much as I do love him), another Jason Bay/Manny Ramirez comparison, or more injury updates. For example, in the past I’ve written about certain positions and their lack of Hall of Famers (such as catcher, relief pitcher, and third base), specific interesting characters of the game (such as Deacon McGuire and Rick Ankiel), the difference between fantasy baseball and simulation (it’s huge), and other more obscure topics.

What should I submit?

My first submission should be a reflection of what I plan to write. So, the themes of what I wrote seem to be:

I’d really like to touch on a couple of these in my entry. Given the 500-word limit, that could be tricky (for example, the catcher article was merely 4,469 words). So, I’m asking you what you think a good first topic would be. Let me throw out some ideas:

Ideas

Do any of these look any good? I’ll be honest. Just while I was making this list I came up with the stolen base one. I might be leaning towards that one. But I’m going to put it out to you, dear readers…

What topic (either listed above or not) should I use for my submission?

Comments incredibly greatly appreciated!

1. On September 13th, 2008 at 5:32 am tj sondermann said:

Stolen Bases, definitely. Followed by Theo’s Drafts. You can do this.

2. On September 13th, 2008 at 8:19 am mikey said:

agreed, slow sox. superhuman speed is always exciting. i’d probably choose theo’s drafts as second too. who is this tj person and why is he in my head? very excited to read it. good luck!

3. On September 13th, 2008 at 10:42 am Scott McCracken said:

the two guys ahead of me stole the thoughts from my head: stolen bases and theo’s drafts would both be great. you clearly have the talent to win that contest, best of luck bud!

4. On September 13th, 2008 at 2:41 pm Adam Darowski said:

Thanks all:

Perhaps I’ll start the research tonight. Seems like stolen bases is the popular choice. Should be fun to put that together!

5. On September 13th, 2008 at 5:12 pm k00k said:

I do like the Slow Sox one, but I’m also a Daubach fan, so Reflecting on Dauber gets my vote too. Good luck man, I’m pulling for ya.

6. On September 14th, 2008 at 11:08 am zibba said:

Theo’s drafts. You can run a comparrison to Belichick’s drafts as well. There’s been alot of talk of how the Pats only have one player on their team left from last years draft and everyone else has been cut/moved on. The stolen bases is interesting but I don’t know if they’ll see that appealing to as wide of an audience as they’d like.

7. On September 16th, 2008 at 8:11 am Bruce Skarin said:

I like the drafts as well, and zibba’s suggestion to compare it to Belichick’s picks is a nice one. I imagine they are gonna want to see that you know something about several NE sports. Kind of hard to do in 500 words, but you can do it. Good luck!

8. On September 17th, 2008 at 7:43 am Adam Darowski said:

Ed & Bruce: I’m going with steals to lead off, since it’ll be most like my future work. I like the idea of rating drafts, but found there’s no way in 500 words. When I get the gig ;) I’d like to if the 500 word limit is lifted. It’d probably still have to be a series of posts, though… Epstein one day. Bill another. Danny another. Maybe even Duquette.

Plus, there’s the fact that I WILL focus a lot on baseball, which I think will work. A lot of their bloggers cover football. I’d like to cover football and basketball a bit, but with a historical and statistical slant.

Thanks!