Status: Live and evolving.
It is always difficult to give a short summary of what the Ted Williams Memorial League (TWML) is. First of all, this is a side project… a hobby. However, it also happens to be my sandbox where I try out new technologies before bringing them into my work life.
The TWML is a baseball simulation league. The difference between sim baseball and fantasy baseball is enormous. Fantasy baseball relies on the schedule and statistics of Major League Baseball. Sim baseball takes a starting point that correlates with Major League Baseball (in our case, 2000) and then builds its own alternate reality. Our league progresses over multiple seasons, at our own desired pace (for example, we played fifteen seasons in the league’s first four years), and with computer-generated rookies that the software produces (so over time, our league is becoming more and more fictional). 24 owners across North America take part, and we’ve been doing this since October of 2002.
Through this league, I have been able to experiment with web design, web development, PHP/MySQL coding, podcasting, video blogging, and forum administration.
In this case, pretty much everything.
What You Can See
For this project, lots of things.
- Blog news site: In August of 2005, we transferred our static HTML site over to a WordPress-based blog. This was my first experimentation with WordPress. I have since used it in quite a few projects for work. I didn’t design the site’s current theme, however. I used the Benevolence theme. (site)
- PHP/MySQL pages: Not pleased with the archives spit out by the software, I decided to create a database and build some custom reports. (hall of fame | players | franchises | drafts)
- Podcasting: We were the first sim baseball league to start its own podcast. I started off by reporting on league news, but we expanded to include owner interviews. (go to iTunes store and search for “TWML” to view our iTunes page)
- Video Blogging: Podcasting got to be a bit difficult to do, so I evolved the podcast into a video format. It’s been popular with the league so far. (episode 13 | episode 16 | episode 19)
- TWML Speech: I took a public speaking course at work and for my final project, I presented about the TWML. I packaged the presentation up into a video blog episode. (episode 21)